Mar 14, 2017
In this edition of the Administrative Bulletin you will find information regarding the Spring 2017 PARCC Administration:
- Spring Administration Task: Precaching Content
- Test Coordinator Information: Work Request Notifications
- Test Coordinator Information: Additional Orders Information
- Test Coordinator and Test Administrator Information: Unit Testing Times
- Test Coordinator and Test Administrator Information: Mathematics Reference Sheets and Calculators
- Test Administrator Information: Monitoring Student and Item Progress
- PARCC Customer Support Center Information
Spring Administration Task: Precaching Content
Prior to using the “prepare” function in PearsonAccessnext to assign test forms to students, Pearson recommends precaching test content to your local precaching machine. The precaching window opens approximately one to two weeks prior to the opening of the administration in your state.
When precaching test content, different browsers have different requirements in order to perform the precache, directions on how to Precache Test Content can be found here: https://support.assessment.pearson.com/x/dRFgAQ.
Please note, once test content has been successfully cached, a recache due to modifying students’ PNP or adding new students to sessions will not be necessary. When precaching, all available forms for the specified grades/subjects are downloaded.
For additional information about precaching content, refer to:
- Document: ProctorCache Overview, Proctor Cache System Requirements
- Training Module: Proctor Caching and TestNav Configuration
Test Coordinator Information: Work Request Notifications
A new feature in PearsonAccessnext allows districts to receive notifications of incoming or approved student transfer requests, also called work requests. Only LEA/District Test Coordinators have permission to request, view, or approve/reject work requests. The process documentation for work requests is located here:
Work request notifications can be activated or modified by LEA/District Test Coordinators. Start by logging in to PearsonAccessnext and under Setup, choose Organizations. Next, search for and select the district or school, and then under Tasks choose Create/Edit Organizations and click Start. When editing the Organization the Work Request Notify Email field can be updated with appropriate contact information.
Please note, if the Work Request Notify Email field is populated at the school level, then only the email address listed for that school would receive the notification, the email address for the district organization will not receive an email notification. If the Work Request Notify Email field is not populated at the school level, then the district organization will receive the email notification. If the field is not populated at a district level, then the email will go to the state.
In addition to the email notifications, when signing in to PearsonAccessnext the bell icon in the top bar will appear red if your organization has a pending work request.
Test Coordinator Information: Additional Orders Information
The additional orders window for PARCC materials is open. If you need additional paper-based testing materials or accommodated materials for computer-based testing, please place an additional order following the instructions below. You must be a district test coordinator or have the Order Additional Materials add-on role to place an order.
Steps to place an Additional Order:
- Under Setup, select Orders and Shipment Tracking.
- Use the Find Orders Placed or Updated in drop-down menu to choose a time window and click Search.
- To view an order’s details, click the blue “i” next to the order number listed in the Order # column.
- The order details screen will appear. Click on the Materials Order tab for a list of materials being shipped to your district.
Test booklets and answer documents are packaged in groups of 5, but must be ordered on a one-to-one basis. If you need to order 7 test booklets or answer documents, enter 7 for the quantity and PearsonAccessnext will compute the number of test booklets or answer documents to ship.
Note: Human Reader Kits contain 2 test booklets and 1 answer document. This is not an error. One test booklet is to be used by the Test Administrator to read aloud to the student.
Additional resources for additional orders:
- Documents: Additional Orders Procedures
Test Coordinator and Test Administrator Information: Unit Testing Times
Test Coordinator and Test Administrator Information: Mathematics Reference Sheets and Calculators
The 2016-2017 Mathematics Reference Sheets (English and Spanish) are available on Avocet.
- They can be found in the index under DURING Computer-Based Testing and also under DURING Paper-Based Testing.
- Note: The 2016-2017 High School Mathematics Reference Sheet no longer includes the Pythagorean Theorem or the formula for the rate of decay.
High School CBT Calculator Information: For the PARCC mathematics high school assessments, students may only use graphing calculators (with functionalities consistent with TI-84 or similar models) during the calculator sections.
Depending on the content of the question, students may have to change the mode to degrees or vice versa. To switch a calculator from radians to degrees, students must:
- Select the “MODE” button near the top of the online TI-84 graphing calculator;
- Go down to the row of the online TI-84 calculator that has “RADIAN DEGREE”; and,
- Select “DEGREE” by arrowing over to “DEGREE” and selecting “ENTER.”
Additional resources for calculator usage on the PARCC Mathematics Assessments:
- Documents: 2017 Calculator Policy, Mathematics Tools Policy, Clearing Memory on Calculators Guidance
Test Administrator Task: Monitoring Student and Item Progress
Test Administrators must monitor the status of students working on computer-based tests during the administration. Monitoring student status allows Test Administrators to determine which students have completed their test, as well as which students have logged out of the test before completion.
Here is a color-coded reference of these statuses:
- A grey Ready status indicates a test that is ready to be started by a student.
- A green Active status indicates that the student started the test with his/her login information from the Student Testing Ticket.
- A red Exited status indicates the student exited the test without submission and the test must be resumed by the Test Administrator to continue testing.
- A yellow Resumed or Resumed Upload status indicates the test has been resumed by the Test Administrator and is ready for the student to log back in and resume testing.
- A blue Complete or Marked Complete status indicates the test has been submitted by the student or marked complete by the Test Administrator.
Additionally, a Test Administrator has the ability to monitor a student’s progress through the items on the computer-based assessment. This is useful if a student has accidentally logged out of a unit or becomes ill and cannot complete the unit. The Test Administrator can use Item Progress information to determine if the student has actually completed the unit and not submitted, or to determine a resuming point for a student who has become ill and must complete the unit at another time.
- From the Students in Session page, select the session you wish to monitor.
- Use filters to find the student(s) to monitor.
- Click on the student’s status and the Student Test and
Item Progresspage will open for the selected student.
- The following testing details are available:
- Sequence numbers
- Items visited and answered by the student
- A timestamp of the item’s last update
Additional resources to assist with Monitoring Student and Item Progress:
- Documents: PARCC Spring 2017 Computer-Based Testing Test Administrator Manual, PearsonAccessnext Online User Guide: Monitor or Change Student Status
- Training Modules: PARCC Computer-Based Testing: Administration Training for Test Administrators Training Module, Monitor Student Test Status and Item Progress
PARCC Customer Support Center Information
If you have questions regarding the administration of the PARCC assessments or materials required for testing, please contact Pearson’s PARCC Customer Support Center: 1-888-493-9888 (open Monday through Friday, 5:30am to 6:30pm CT) or PARCC@support.pearson.com. **Do not include any student’s personally identifiable information (e.g. name, date of birth) in emails.
Customer Satisfaction Survey: After contacting the call center, please complete the CSAT Survey that you receive via email. These surveys ensure accurate information and high quality service is being provided. Your feedback helps us enhance our customer service training.
Find answers to Frequently Asked Questions by clicking on Customer Service FAQs in the footer of the PARCC/Pearson Portal. If you have questions regarding state policies, please contact your state PARCC contact for the most current and relevant information.
We appreciate your participation!
Pearson PARCC Program Team