Apr 4, 2017
In this edition of the Administrative Bulletin you will find information regarding the Spring 2017 PARCC Administration:
- Test Coordinator Information: Not Tested and Void Test Score Codes
- Test Administrator and Test Coordinator Information: Transcription
- PARCC Customer Support Center Information
Test Coordinator Information: Not Tested and Void Test Score Codes
Not Tested Codes If a session is in “Prepared” status, users do not have the option to select a “Not Tested Reason” from the dropdown. If a user needs to add a Not Tested Code, the student must be removed from the session to do so.
Void Test Score Codes During and after testing it may be necessary to void a student’s test attempt. Voiding a test means the test will NOT be scored or used for reporting purposes. Only students with a test attempt (completed or marked complete) can be marked as void.
There are 2 void functions in PearsonAccessnext:
- Void Student Test Score (All Units) </br> This will be necessary in cases when students who require accommodations begin testing without the accommodated form. It may also be used to remove test attempts from scoring and reporting. This task is completed on the Manage Student Tests screen.
- Void Unit (Computer-Based Testing Only) </br> In most circumstances, voiding at the unit level is appropriate ONLY for students who complete a unit inadvertently using another student’s testing ticket. This should NOT be used in cases of incorrect form-supported accommodations. Voiding at the unit level replaces the attempted unit with a new, identical unit. Follow your policy for contacting the LEA/district or state to determine if the students will retake the completed unit.
Note: Please check with your state as permissions to void vary by state.
Additional resources regarding Not Tested and Void Test Score Codes:
- Documents: Not Tested and Void Test Score Guidance
- Training Module: Welcome to PearsonAccessnext, Not Tested and Void Test Score Codes
Test Administrator and Test Coordinator Information: Transcription
Guidelines for Transcribing Student Responses for Paper-Based Testing Certain situations that occur during the administration of PARCC assessments may require a Test Administrator to transcribe a student’s response into a standard answer document. These situations may include:
- A student takes the test using a special test format that requires answers to be transcribed (e.g., large print).
- A student uses a speech-to-text converter, augmentative communication device, or assistive technology device for responses to be transcribed by the scribe at a later time.
- As an accommodation, a student records answers in a test booklet or on blank paper instead of in the required answer document.
- The answer document becomes unusable (e.g., torn, wrinkled)*.
*The student’s “original” un-useable answer document must be returned with secure nonscorable test materials, marked with “DO NOT SCORE” or an “X” in large font on the front. Do not cover the barcode.
If a student’s responses must be transcribed after the test administration is complete, at least two persons must be present during the transcription of the responses: a transcriber, and an observer to confirm the accuracy of the transcription. It is highly recommended that one of the individuals be an authorized LEA/District Test Coordinator or School Test Coordinator. The student’s response must be transcribed verbatim into an answer document.
- Braille Transcription: Only an eligible Test Administrator who is a certified Teacher of Students with Visual Impairment, including Blindness, or someone working under the direct supervision of an eligible Test Administrator who is a certified Teacher of Students with Visual Impairment, including Blindness, may transcribe the student’s responses onto the paper or online form of the PARCC Assessments.
Guidelines for Transcribing Student Responses for Computer-Based Testing Selected Response and Technology Enhanced Items For selected response and technology enhanced items, student responses must be entered into TestNav during the test session by the Test Administrator. Once the student reaches the end of the test with all Selected Response and Technology Enhanced Items completed, the Test Administrator should have the student EXIT the test, but not submit the test.
Constructed Response Items During administration of computer-based PARCC assessments, students who require use of a speech-to-text converter, augmentative communication device, or assistive technology device will need their constructed responses transcribed into TestNav by a Test Administrator before the online testing window closes. The process is as follows:
- The student should use his/her device to respond to the items requiring constructed responses and should then continue testing in TestNav, leaving these items unanswered in TestNav.
- Once the student reaches the end of the test, the Test Administrator should have the student EXIT the test, but NOT submit the test.
- The Test Administrator must set the test to Resumed status within PearsonAccessnext; refer to the PearsonAccessnext User Guide for instructions on how to resume a test.
- If a student submits the test in error, the submission must be undone in order to complete the transcription. Refer to the March 21, 2017 Administrative Bulletin for the NJDOE undo test submission process.
- Once the test has been unlocked, the Test Administrator must log into TestNav as the student and navigate to the items for transcription.
- At least two persons must be present during any transcription of student responses. One of the individuals must be an authorized Test Administrator.
- The student’s responses must be transcribed verbatim into TestNav.
- Once all items have been transcribed, the Test Administrator will Submit the test.
Note: After transcription is complete, all original student responses that were printed from an assistive technology device must be securely shredded.
Additional Resources Regarding Transcription Policy and Procedures
- Documents: Not Tested and Void Test Score Guidance
- Training Modules: Not Tested and Void Test Score Codes
PARCC Customer Support Center Information
If you have questions regarding the administration of the PARCC assessments or materials required for testing, please contact Pearson’s PARCC Customer Support Center: 1-888-493-9888 (open Monday through Friday, 5:30am to 6:30pm CT) or PARCC@support.pearson.com. **Do not include any student’s personally identifiable information (e.g. name, date of birth) in emails.
Customer Satisfaction Survey: After contacting the call center, please complete the CSAT Survey that you receive via email. These surveys ensure accurate information and high quality service is being provided. Your feedback helps us enhance our customer service training.
Find answers to Frequently Asked Questions by clicking on Customer Service FAQs in the footer of the PARCC/Pearson Portal. If you have questions regarding state policies, please contact your state PARCC contact for the most current and relevant information.
We appreciate your participation!
Pearson PARCC Program Team