Nov 29, 2016
Thank you for your participation in the 2016 Fall Block PARCC Assessments.
In this edition of the Administrative Bulletin you will find information regarding:
- Test Administrator and Test Coordinator Information: Transcription
- PARCC Customer Support Center Information
Test Administrator and Test Coordinator Information: Transcription
Guidelines for Transcribing Student Responses for Paper-Based Testing Certain situations that occur during the administration of PARCC assessments may require a Test Administrator to transcribe a student’s response into a standard answer document. These situations may include:
- Answers were recorded in the wrong section of an answer document, or in an incorrect answer document.
- A student takes the test using a special test format that requires answers to be transcribed (e.g., large print).
- A student uses a speech-to-text converter, augmentative communication device, or assistive technology device for responses to be transcribed by the scribe at a later time.
- As an accommodation, a student records answers in a test booklet or on blank paper instead of in the required answer document.
- The answer document becomes unusable (e.g., torn, wrinkled).
The students original un-useable answer document must be returned with secure nonscorable test materials, marked with DO NOT SCORE or an X in large font on the front. Do not cover the barcode.
If a students responses must be transcribed after the test administration is complete, at least two persons must be present during the transcription of the responses: a transcriber, and an observer to confirm the accuracy of the transcription. It is highly recommended that one of the individuals be an authorized LEA/District Test Coordinator or School Test Coordinator. The students response must be transcribed verbatim into an answer document.
- Braille Transcription: Only an eligible Test Administrator who is a certified Teacher of Students with Visual Impairment, including Blindness, or someone working under the direct supervision of an eligible Test Administrator who is a certified Teacher of Students with Visual Impairment, including Blindness, may transcribe the students responses onto the paper or online form of the PARCC Assessments.
Guidelines for Transcribing Student Responses for Computer-Based Testing Selected Response and Technology Enhanced Items For selected response and technology enhanced items, student responses must be entered into TestNav during the test session by the Test Administrator. Once the student reaches the end of the test with all Selected Response and Technology Enhanced Items completed, the Test Administrator should have the student EXIT the test, but not submit the test.
Constructed Response Items During administration of computer-based PARCC assessments, students who require use of a speech-to-text converter, augmentative communication device, or assistive technology device will need their constructed responses transcribed into TestNav by a Test Administrator before the online testing window closes. The process is as follows:
- The student should use his/her device to respond to the items requiring constructed responses and should then continue testing in TestNav, leaving these items unanswered in TestNav.
- Once the student reaches the end of the test, the Test Administrator should have the student EXIT the test, but NOT submit the test.
- The Test Administrator must set the test to Resumed status within PearsonAccessnext; refer to the PearsonAccessnext User Guide for instructions on how to resume a test.
- If a student submits the test in error, the submission must be undone in order to complete the transcription. Refer to the November 15, 2016 Administrative Bulletin for the undo test submission process.
- Once the test has been unlocked, the Test Administrator must log into TestNav as the student and navigate to the items for transcription.
- At least two persons must be present during any transcription of student responses. One of the individuals must be an authorized Test Administrator.
- The students responses must be transcribed verbatim into TestNav.
- Once all items have been transcribed, the Test Administrator will Submit the test.
Note: After transcription is complete, all original student responses that were printed from an assistive technology device must be securely shredded.
Additional resources to assist with Monitoring Student and Item Progress:
- Document: Accessibility Features and Accommodations Manual
- Training Modules: Welcome to PearsonAccessnext, Students, Student Registration/Personal Needs Profile, Accessibility Features and Accommodations
PARCC Customer Support Center Information
If you have questions regarding the administration of the PARCC assessments or materials required for testing, please contact Pearsons PARCC Customer Support Center: 1-888-493-9888 (open Monday through Friday, 5:30am to 6:30pm CT) or PARCC@support.pearson.com. **Do not include any students personally identifiable information (e.g. name, date of birth) in emails.
Customer Satisfaction Survey: After contacting the call center, please complete the CSAT Survey that you receive via email. These surveys ensure accurate information and high quality service is being provided. Your feedback helps us enhance our customer service training.
Find answers to Frequently Asked Questions by clicking on Customer Service FAQs in the footer of the PARCC/Pearson Portal. If you have questions regarding state policies, please contact your state PARCC contact for the most current and relevant information.
We appreciate your participation!
Pearson PARCC Program Team