Jan 31, 2017
The following communication was developed to help school and district Technology Coordinators prepare for and administer the 2016-2017 PARCC assessments. Monthly technology updates will include technology information, implementation resources, hot topics, and troubleshooting guidance. Previous Technology Bulletins are stored at http://parcc.pearson.com/bulletins/. The next communication is tentatively scheduled for February 23, 2017.
PearsonAccessnext and TestNav 8 Version Updates
On January 9, 2017, the PearsonAccessnext Training Center and the non-secure Tutorials and Practice Tests received version updates to prepare for Spring testing. The version updates do not require new client installs. The TestNav apps and ProctorCache client software versions released in August 2016 will be used for the Spring 2017 test administration. No additional action is required for schools that are already using the latest client software versions. To upgrade TestNav apps or ProctorCache visit http://download.testnav.com.
Please review the list of most recent enhancements to each system shown below. To review more detailed information on technology changes for Spring 2017, a PARCC 2017 Spring Technology Crosswalk has been posted to Avocet that contains all key technology changes from last year to this year.
- Student Transfer process enhancements
- Automatically “Show All” for School organizations
- TestNav Configuration retains Response File Backup locations when using custom configurations
- Precaching Computer Override
- Configuration Identifiers (for use with TestNav App Check)
- Session Student Roster
- App Check Enhancements
- Support for Android 7.0
- The version updates will take effect for all state PearsonAccessnext sites by Monday, February 6 2017, and all state TestNav sites by Tuesday, February 7 2017.
PARCC Technology Guidelines
The PARCC Technology Guidelines have been updated in preparation for the Spring 2017 test administration. Pearson continues to maintain a product support page for TestNav 8; however, the PARCC Technology Guidelines are the official requirements for PARCC. Below is a list of the changes that are detailed in the newest version of the PARCC Technology Guidelines.
- Added support for iOS 10.2+
- Added support for MacOS 10.12 Sierra using the Firefox browser
- Added support for Android 7.0 Nougat
- Students using assistive technology, such as screen readers, will be required to use browser-based testing during Spring 2017 testing. This does not include accessibility features and accommodations, such as text-to-speech or American sign-language, which can continue to be used in the TestNav apps.
- The Firefox 45 ESR 32-bit (Extended Support Release) browser will be the only supported browser for 2016-2017 test administrations. For instructions and additional information please visit: https://support.assessment.pearson.com/x/6wNgAQ
- For information regarding previous requirements changes, please reference the PARCC Technology Guidelines document or: https://parcc.pearson.com/bulletins/2016/07/20/parcc-technology-bulletin.html
Test Security Reminder
Maintaining test security helps ensure valid and reliable student results. While computer-based testing increases test security in many ways, specific configurations and technology-use rules are required during the assessment to ensure the integrity of the administration. To prepare devices to meet test security requirements:
- Turn off or disable any management software that would allow secure test content on student testing devices to be viewed on any other device; e.g, LanSchool, NetopVision, or similar applications.
- Turn off or disable any applications that can automatically launch during the assessment; e.g., email message notifications.
Please refer to the PARCC 2016-2017 Fall Block/Spring Administration Test Coordinator Manual for Computer-Based and Paper-Based Testing for more information, located here: https://parcc.pearson.com/manuals/.
What resources are available?
Technical User Guides and Training Modules are the best sources for information:
- PARCC Resource Home Page: http://parcc.pearson.com/
- PARCC Manuals: http://avocet.pearson.com/PARCC/Home#news
- PARCC Web-based Training Modules: http://parcc.pearson.com/training-modules
- PARCC Technology Crosswalk: http://avocet.pearson.com/PARCC/Home#14673
- PARCC TestNav Expected Behaviors: http://avocet.pearson.com/PARCC/Home#15087
What are the technical requirements and where are the setup instructions?
The TestNav 8 system requirements and the technology setup instructions are all available below:
- System Requirements: https://support.assessment.pearson.com/x/HwYcAQ
- Technology Setup: https://parcc.pearson.com/technology-setup/
PARCC Support Center
If you have questions regarding the administration of the PARCC assessments, please contact Pearson’s PARCC Customer Support Center: 1-888-493-9888 (open Monday through Friday, 5:30am to 6:30pm CST) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For state policy questions, please contact your state PARCC contact.